AutoBeat Daily Newsletter
View this email in browser| VIEW LATEST ISSUE
AutoBeat Jobs
Presented By: AutoBeat
Sales Sag in Europe, Even with Incentives

Sales Sag in Europe, Even with Incentives

Early reports show that August sales stalled or slumped in major European markets, regardless of incentive programs.

In France, new-car deliveries fell 20% to 103,600 units compared with August 2019, according to industry trade group CCFA.

Demand was hurt by the end of a government scrappage plan in July that paid owners as much as $6,000 to dump an old car and buy a new one. The program buoyed year-on-year sales 1% in June and 4% in July.

In Spain, August retail sales fell 10% to 67,000 units in spite of government incentives. Consumers who scrap a 10-year-old car can get discounts of $4,800 on an all-electric model and as much as $1,000 on a more efficient piston-powered vehicle.

The plan helped advance July sales 1%, according to trade association ANFAC. But the group says ...READ MORE

Mahle, Inc.
Geely, GM Venture Jump into China’s Pickup Truck Market

China’s emerging pickup truck market is gaining two more competitors.

Geely unveiled its first pickup truck last week and it erecting a factory in Zibo to make 100,000 vehicles, including trucks, per year.

Separately, a venture involving General Motors, SAIC and Guangxi Automobile has filed for permission to build its first pickup, to be called the Zhengtu, Reuters reports.

Rare Sight

Pickup trucks remain relatively rare in China. Sales in January-July this year totaled about 251,000 units, representing only 2% of the passenger car market, according to the China Assn. of Automobile Manufacturers.

The segment currently is dominated by Great Wall Motor, which has been making pickups since 1996. Its trucks also are exported to Africa, Australia, Europe, the Middle East, ...READ MORE

NHTSA Launches AV Test Tracking Tool

“This tool gives the public online access to data about the on-road testing of automated driving systems so the public can understand more about this new technology,” said U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao, speaking of the just-launched online tool that is part of the Automated Vehicle Transparency and Engagement for Safe Testing (AV TEST) Initiative, which is being overseen by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). 

The platform will allow people to see where automated vehicle testing is going on in 17 cities, including Austin, Columbus (Ohio), Dallas, Denver, Jacksonville, Orlando, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

Companies providing information to the site about their programs are ...READ MORE

No Surprise: Gallup Finds Workers Ill At Ease

Sixty-five percent of U.S. workers are satisfied with their physical safety at work, according to a Gallup study conducted July 30-August 12.

That’s down from the 74% that was measured in 2019. And in 2017 that figure was 79%, so in three years there has been a drop to a number not seen since 2001.

A bit of a surprise is that of those who are “working primarily or entirely from home,” only 74% are generally satisfied with their physical safety. One wonders about the other 26%.

And for those who are working outside their homes, only 61% feel physically safe.

Not Feeling Secure, Either

In terms of overall job satisfaction, safety is the #3 consideration, behind relations with coworkers—75% are completely satisfied—and flexibility of hours—68% are ...READ MORE

Report: L.A. Auto Show Postponed Until May

It seemed hard to believe that the Los Angeles auto show would be held as planned in late November with the coronavirus still raging across much of the U.S.

Show organizers, however, continued to hold the date while most other industry events have been postponed, canceled or transitioned to virtual formats. But it now appears L.A. has joined the crowd—or, to state it more accurately, will distance itself from the crowds.

The annual show, which was due to run Nov. 20-29, is being pushed back six months until May 21-31, Automotive News reports, citing three unnamed sources.

An official announcement could be made later this week (as of now the show’s website still lists the November date as a go), according to the report.

Crowded Schedule

A spring 2021 date would sandwich ...READ MORE

Gardner Business Media
6915 Valley Ave
Cincinnati, OH 45244
United States
Manage Email Preferences | Unsubscribe
Subscribe to AutoBeat magazine

Your privacy is important to Gardner Business Media, Inc. (GBM). Please review GBM's online Privacy Policy.

Trademarks: All trademarks and logos represented in this marketing message are the property of their respective owners.

© 2020 Gardner Business Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Follow Us   Facebook   LinkedIn   Twitter   YouTube   Instagram

Email Marketing by ActiveCampaign